We use electricity every day, so it is crucial that we practice electrical safety every day, too. It’s especially important that we all teach our children about the dangers of electricity so we can protect them. Exposure to electricity can be extremely dangerous. Not only is electric shock painful, but it also has consequences as severe as death. When you first experience electric shock, your muscles tighten up; this can make it increasingly difficult to let go of the cord or move away from the circuit. It can become hard to breathe and you blood vessels tighten. You can also experience burns and internal organ damage. Teach these electrical safety rules to your children to keep them safe.

Don’t overload outlets or extension cords.

Overloading outlets and extension cords can cause a fire by overloading the electrical system. Extension cords should only be used as a temporary solution. Keep extension cords away from common footpaths to avoid a tripping hazard.

Water and electricity don’t mix.

Ensure your children understand that electronics need to be kept away from water. To prevent accidents from happening, electronics shouldn’t be brought anywhere near faucets, the bath, or any other water sources.

Don’t pull an electrical plug out by the cord.

You should never pull the electrical plug out of the outlet by its cord. It should always be pulled out by the plug. Pulling it out by the cord can damage the outlet, the plug, or the electronic device itself.

Keep kites away from power lines.

Children shouldn’t fly kites (or drones) anywhere near power lines. If the kite string comes into contact with the power lines, the string may conduct electricity. Kids should also avoid climbing trees near power lines.

Don’t play around transformers, electrical outlets, or cords.

Children should not play anywhere near transformers, substations, power poles, or electrical outlets. They shouldn’t play with cords or chew on them. To help prevent your children from putting their fingers or other items into electrical outlets, put safety caps on unused outlets. Put other electrical devices in places where they are hard to reach.

Make sure your children know they should always ask you for help when using electricity. If an accident does happen, unplug or turn off the circuit and immediately call for help. Shock victims should go to the hospital, as injuries can be internal. To make sure your home is safe, have an electrician from Nies Electric come to your home to inspect it.